So today’s adventure at the gym included most of a yoga class and then some stretching and such in the pool (and a soak in the hot tub).
I believe I have only been in a yoga class once or twice in my life. The whole thing is very foreign to me, I don’t know the terms, etc. Luckily my friend Mallory was with me, and she seemed quite knowledgeable on all of this stuff. I got off to a bad start because we were late, as we had to wait for childcare to have spots open up. Now because we were late, the room was pretty full, and we had to squeeze in on the side near the big wall mirror. The lovely mirror. Ugh.
What follows are a few of my observations, or lessons, on this yoga thing.
- I am not a pretzel.
- I do not enjoy the mirror reflection of downward dog.
- I need a stronger core.
- I have no idea how to breathe.
- I can touch my toes quite easily (was not always the case).
- I need to be in the front so I can hear the instructor. (Arrive earlier)
- I want my own yoga mat.
- I did not like the yoga music. Not at all.
- Some of the poses felt a little scandalous.
- I can spread my legs wider than I thought I could.
- Some poses are easier on one side versus the other.
- I’m not use to being barefoot at the gym.
- I will do this again and try different classes and styles, including BodyFlow.
- I need a better solution for my hair, my attempt at a pony tail got in the way on the mat.
- I need to wear a shirt that fits and is not loose, as I had trouble with my shirt in certain poses dropping into my face.
- I don’t like closing my eyes. The paranoid cynic in me thinks I will either miss something important or have some weird stranger poke me or fall on me or something, lol.
- At the end when I was suppose to lay flat, with eyes closed, and completely relax … I had no idea how to do that. I felt weird, didn’t keep my eyes closed. It seemed like it would last forever, so I just stared at the ceiling fan slowing twirling above me while I waited. It was almost mesmerizing and somewhat hypnotic. Maybe I was relaxed after all.
Now in other news, I tried a dark cherry greek yogurt today. I did not really care for it, seemed to have a strange aftertaste. Maybe it would be better with some pecans or crushed pretzels mixed in there? 😉 Stay tuned for a blog on that later.
As always, make champion choices,
The Healthy Habit Lady